Microsoft Updates for July 2016
“Microsoft has the largest channel network in the industry. Larger than AWS, Google and Salesforce combined.”
- New Features – Office365 feature exclusives worth considering incl. dynamic navigation in PowerPoint, ML enabled Editor in Word https://t.co/cmLcK8693a
- New Feature – Example of Mobile First, Cloud First development. Focused Inbox is fantastic, great to see it on the Outlook Client https://t.co/vTXi1Vl0xr
- Licensing – Azure AD Premium P2 within extended EMS E5 bundle in Q3 2016. ADP2 SKU on August Price File. Orders accepted September 1st.
- New Feature – Microsoft announce planned release Azure Stack in Mid CY 2017 with HP, Lenovo, Dell https://t.co/dlE3YbqKkv
- New Feature – Always Encrypted in Azure SQL Database is Generally Available https://t.co/P05dGOJUkn
- Tool – So this is cool, Microsoft drop Azure Usage and Billing Portal on GitHub and extends APIs https://t.co/EqbPGtGpLv
- Roadmap Lifecycle – Microsoft Stream in Freemium Preview. Named successor of Office365 Video https://t.co/GNjfY7U7TN shows cracks in MS integrated development
- Roadmap Lifecycle – Azure Security Center is now Generally Available https://t.co/mAfXWilQKM providing Breach Incident Reporting and Analytics across platforms
- Licensing – Microsoft Bookings comes to Office365 only for Business Premium Subscribers. E3 and E5 promised to follow https://t.co/0oQI6MXECj
- Licensing – Microsoft U-Turn on SA for CALs for License Mobility in the July Product Terms (Updated Article) https://goo.gl/wGRaX3
- Tool – Skype for Business Planning Tool https://t.co/uQYbOftHJi (Download)
- Roadmap Lifecycle – Microsoft OMS Upgrade Analytics enters Public Preview like MAP https://t.co/fm0aq3tKYh
- Technical Dependency – If you are upgrading to Windows 10 skip SCCM 2012 R2. Look at SCCM 2016 Update 1606 (supports Anniversary Update) now rolling out https://t.co/uD0VaUJRIE
- Resource (Licensing) – Licensing comparison of Windows Server 2016 Editions https://t.co/WCcDHLiLXE
- Tool – Microsoft publish tool to migrate Datazen content (dashboards and KPIs) to SQL 2016 Reporting Server https://t.co/aykZKXht34 (download)
- Resource – Azure Decision Tree (Technology Selection) https://t.co/0ph2JQvOyh
- New Feature – Office365 Microsoft Flow (workflows) and PowerApps (forms) offer extensibility to updated UI SharePoint Lists for SharePoint https://t.co/HQ5Kxy4ba5
- Licensing – OMS Subscription extends to include System Center on-premise. System Center OMS AddOn remains Customers with an Operations Management Suite L2 subscription, may install and run System Center Server Standard with Operations Management Suite L2 for Managing an OSE in customer’s own facility or in Microsoft Azure https://t.co/v9QrWy5DK1
- Microsoft News – Microsoft announce System Center 2016 General Availability for October 1st. OMS extensibility, Linux and Unix Support https://t.co/JzRX77XgWy
- Licensing – Office365 Education now available via supported Microsoft Cloud Agreement (MCA) https://t.co/S1NX2BoVGF
- New Feature – Skype Meeting Broadcast will get transcription and translation end of CY 2016 https://t.co/7PhDkTGp5I
- Roadmap Lifecycle – Skype PSTN Calling is now in UK and US https://t.co/JLc3cvMXJi
- Resource – Microsoft create Skype Operations Framework (SOF) planning and deployment methodology https://t.co/Q8HIzeC91B
- Microsoft News – Facebook ‘likes’ Microsoft. Starts with Office365 Exchange Online and Delve https://t.co/w2pMmix5I4
- New Feature – Windows Server 2016 Datacenter and Standard w. 3 install options. Desktop GUI, Core w. PowerShell, and Nano https://t.co/EAIxj9C5ew
- Licensing – Windows Server 2016 will also include LTSB versus CBB service branches. https://t.co/qWkweAwjXD
- Technical Dependency – Microsoft pull support for Win7 for next gen chipsets. Drives upgrades to Windows10 https://t.co/iw3q6XpSOY
- Resource – Best article on TechNet on Windows10 feature update deferment models and withdrawal to security updates https://t.co/2eN3OFDuFK
- Microsoft News – Microsoft announce ‘Office in a Box’ strategy with expansive Secure Productive Enterprise (SPE) E5 bundle (General Availability October 1st 2016) https://t.co/kh45mI0eSy
- Licensing – Secure Islands acquisition finds a home in Azure Information Protection Premium P2 within extended EMS E5 bundle https://t.co/A7eL6hbdiw
- Microsoft News – Microsoft announce integrated security EMS bundle to become Enterprise Mobility + Security (EM+S) E3 + E5 offerings https://t.co/A7eL6hbdiw
- Microsoft News – Microsoft play for integrated security layer, announce “Secure Productive Enterprise” bundles (General Availability October 1st 2016) https://t.co/kh45mI0eSy
- Licensing – Windows10 “Premium” to be renamed Windows Enterprise E5 with Win Defender Advanced Threat Protection in August 2016 Product Terms https://t.co/kh45mI0eSy
- New Feature – Future of SharePoint sees closer OneDrive integration w. sync features, and analytics with Delve https://t.co/GIhGM1yuDA
- Competitor Insight – SAP Hana on Microsoft Azure is a landmark strategic partnership. https://t.co/08dSQrUvdq
- Microsoft News – Enterprise Advantage on MPSA in 2017. Microsoft shift EA under the MPSA framework. Gov and Edu Advantage on horizon https://t.co/VPjGRvOddq
- New Feature – SharePoint Mobile App for iOS https://t.co/KqmmLs9dCB
- Acquisition – Microsoft acquired Wand Labs https://t.co/KYVpuvLSxq leverage intelligent agents and cognitive services into chat experiences with Bing and Cortana
- SoftwareONE – SoftwareONE Blog Article on the 500 EA minimum user/device counts going into effect today https://t.co/XNKGCxj989
- Licensing – July EA enrolment SCE contract wording will support reservations for eligible products.
- Licensing – July EA: Indefinite Extended Term: Azure, after 12 month enrolment term expires, service will be continue indefinitely at level A plus 3%
- Licensing – July EA: Indefinite Extended Term: Online Services maintained for year after enrolment (under which they were purchased) expires 1/2
- Licensing –July EA Pricing: Certain consumption Online Services Price Protection exempt. Initially Skype for Business impacted with floating prices.
- Licensing –July EA enrolment: clarification on effective date at renewal. The new contract period is the day after the prior contract ends.
- Licensing –July EA enrollment: new contract terms do not support fewer than 500 Qualified Users/Devices. Renew once via Enterprise Renewal Form
- Licensing –July EA – Downgrade Rights clarification – right to downgrade to prior versions, the use terms at time of purchase would apply.
- Licensing – Office365 Planner is now Generally Available for all Enterprise Plans E1-E5 https://t.co/WxoM2OLUWv
- Technical Dependency – Project and Visio side-by-side compatibility with Office365 C2V versions https://t.co/fGTjpgAw0k. The Microsoft Product Terms June 2016 provides MSI Install (p59)
- Resource (Licensing) Skype for Business PSTN Calling FAQs https://t.co/y1fYhO2Rkd
- Resource (Licensing) SQL on Azure VMs FAQs https://t.co/K3NEs5NkUq
This website is a way to give back to the licensing community and as an information resource for all customers that work with Microsoft software and licensing. I hope you find it of value.
Copyright – Softspend Limited 2018. All Rights Reserved.