April 2018 saw a number of important licensing and solutions updates, including but not limited to:
- Roadmap Lifecycle – Multi-Geo Tenancies enters General Availability https://goo.gl/hMroMX
- Licensing – Azure responds to AWS, now offers constrained core VMs enabling orgs to constrain the vCPU count to reduce the cost of software licensing https://goo.gl/B3JT7y
- Licensing – Microsoft is expanding the editing capabilities of the Office mobile apps to Office 365 Business Essentials, Office 365 Enterprise E1, Office 365 Education, and more. A qualifying subscription now allows view and edit documents, as well as unlock additional features when using the Office mobile apps Read the blog post or Read the announcement FAQ. https://goo.gl/HupJzK
- Licensing – SharePoint Online storage increase to 1 TB plus 10 GB per user license https://goo.gl/hpibTR Some thinking presented on why Microsoft would suddenly be so generous, an obvious factor is the influence Teams and Office 365 Groups have on driving usage for SharePoint Online document libraries. After all, with so many document libraries in use, the old (insufficient) allocation was simply too small.
- Licensing – “Office 2019 uses device-based licenses similar to previous major versions. Users will be able to sign in if they want to. However, they are not required to do this. Key Management Service (KMS) and Multiple Activation Keys (MAK) activation are available to volume license users for offline licensing. No Internet connection is required to use the product”. https://goo.gl/STzoXZ
- New Feature – Office 365 Secure Score is now Microsoft Secure Score.. The logic is that the dashboard now includes Windows data as well as Office 365 data.
- Roadmap Lifecycle – Microsoft introduce Commercial Preview of Office 2019. https://t.co/86gngpJZIo
- Licensing – Office 2019 will only be available as C2R “Click To Run” (FAQs) https://goo.gl/7vfJ2Q
- Microsoft News – Windows 10 Revenue up 13%, Commercial products and cloud services revenue up 21, Surface revenue up 32% , Windows 10 devices in commercial orgs up 79% yr/yr, Gaming revenue up 18%Xbox Live users up 13% to 59M https://goo.gl/976puR
- Microsoft News – Microsoft News Revenue up 16% to $26.8B, $6.3B returned to shareholders in dividends and stock repurchase, Commercial Cloud revenue – $6B in quarter, Commercial Cloud margin up 6% to 57% https://goo.gl/976puR
- Tool – Office Readiness Toolkit for Office Add-In and Macro Compatibility – https://goo.gl/zsjnZk
- 3rd party PBX systems for Exchange Online unified messaging will work until April 30th 2019. https://goo.gl/yiEoos
- Pricing – Azure Pricing Updates for Express Route https://goo.gl/mTVLhR
- Pricing – Azure Pricing Updates for Application Insights https://goo.gl/XtNjLu
- Pricing – Visual Studio Team Services Pricing https://goo.gl/1hQrFt
- New Feature – Password-less Sign-In to Windows 10 & Azure AD using FIDO2 is coming soon https://goo.gl/TyqhBL
- New Feature – Azure AD Conditional Access policies can now check device health as reported by Windows Defender Advanced Threat Protection. https://goo.gl/TyqhBL
- New Feature – With the addition of domain allow and deny lists, Azure AD B2B Collaboration now gives you the ability to control which partner organizations you work with. https://goo.gl/TyqhBL
- Reference (Licensing) Skype for Business and Microsoft Teams Feature Comparison https://t.co/qS44aQxWYg http://aka.ms/skypeandteams
- Pricing – price changes for Azure monitoring services. Log Analytics, Network Watcher, Azure Monitor, and Application Insights https://goo.gl/5XpJy2
- New Feature – Microsoft Cloud App Security now looks at disgruntled employee access beyond their credentials, and anomaly detection of ransomware activity. Microsoft also improve Conditional Access App Controls (Public Preview) http://bit.ly/2HpYSo9
This website is a way to give back to the licensing community and as an information resource for all customers that work with Microsoft software and licensing. I hope you find it of value.