I’m expecting to see a continued focus in 2017 on digital transformation, with SoftwareONE Advisory enabling our client’s to become a ‘digital ready business’. We are well positioned with our core competency as a License Design Authority (LDA) to provide tightly integrated work programmes aligning with client or our internal Technical Design Authority (TDA), supported by our core SAM expertise, and digital platforms like PyraCloud, to deliver an optimised digital transformation programme for our clients.
Licensing is increasingly impacting technology choices in the enterprise Architecture Development Method, with a common complaint from our clients that their TDA are not supporting optimisation in software spend, or incurring unbudgeted costs to the business.
Our clients often tell us they “want the best deal”, and to feel confident when going to cloud, with an accurate commercial forecast, and driving negotiation advantage by incorporating license design into the IT roadmap decision making process. Advisory can deliver an tightly integrated license design and technology investment roadmap, we can incorporate license design and strategic procurement into the DNA of a digital transformation strategy.
As always, we have compelling events to help drive our wider services. MAS (Microsoft Advisory Services) are offering an integrated service for Windows Server Per Core. Great opportunity to integrate into a wider renewal programme of work for your upcoming Microsoft renewals.
We can also support clients with the announced UK GBP Price Increase with a forecast uplift of 13% for on-premise software, and 22% for cloud services for renewals after January 1st 2016.
Here is my brief update on some of the principle roadmap and licensing updates from Microsoft in September and October 2016:
- Microsoft Increase UK Prices for commercial on-prem software 13% and 22% for cloud effective Jan 1st 2017 https://goo.gl/dRbS4j
- SoftwareONE FAQ http://bit.ly/2eZpjCf
- Microsoft offer Office365 API extensibility to PowerBI pre-built dashboards in development. New Office365 user adoption metering and Azure metering on horizon offered natively by Microsoft by PowerBI dashboards, powershell scripting and APIs. SoftwareONE need to integrate PyraCloud Pro with Cloud Insider with client adoption and zero touch services.
- Application Guard for Windows Defender. Edge virtual sandbox for untrusted sites. https://goo.gl/yeCL3H
- Azure Site Recovery gives 1 click migration of Apps and OS. Pay only for compute, storage while you test for 31 days https://goo.gl/BJOeCZ
- Here’s how you assign Azure Hybrid Use Benefit (HUB) in PowerShell to BYOL WinSvr Licenses w. SA to Azure and save https://goo.gl/KNCXc9
- New ‘Commercial Cloud Gross Margin’ metric in Annual Earnings Report, at 49%, reflects strong focus on cost reduction from Microsoft.
- Compare EM+S E3 and E5 Plans https://goo.gl/lUjUhi
- New security and reporting in Yammer Extensibility via Management APIs and Office365 Security and Compliance Ctr https://goo.gl/A8kyQo
- Dynamics 365 will be GA on November 1st. Microsoft have published a basic Licensing overview: https://goo.gl/IBxtgG
- Hicurdismos is a fake Microsoft Security Essentials installer. Mimics BSoD to install malware https://goo.gl/LHTBYU
- SCCM update 1610 Tech Preview. New features: limit updates to subset of devices, retract prior App permissions https://goo.gl/DMabqz
- Great introductory resources on Windows Server 2016 https://goo.gl/U6OZ2D
- What impact will the change to per core licensing have on your Windows Server estate? https://goo.gl/WABnBQ
- New Article: A Primer on Secure Productive Enterprise (And Why It’s Great for Microsoft) http://www.microsoftlicensereview.com
- Windows 7 and 8.1 pre-installed OEM End of Sales on Oct 31st. Expect a price increase on Windows10 Pro OEM downgrade SKUs from supplies like Dell https://goo.gl/NM3pUM
- Great article from Neil Lomax on the Azure price changes on the SoftwareONE blog https://goo.gl/8Xe63s
- Windows Defender ATP (Advanced Threat Protection) has Office365 ATP interoperability via Win Enterprise E5 offering https://goo.gl/G6ORd1
- Microsoft confirmed general availability of Secure Productive Enterprise (SPE) platform suites on October 1st https://goo.gl/ZzyKb1
- Windows10 Enterprise E3 now with App Guard. Virtual Container Isolation for Edge. https://goo.gl/CyQu5M
- Microsoft drop Azure pricing. Flatten prices across Azure.com , EA, MPSA. Enables AWS comparison https://goo.gl/RHJGrv
- Microsoft re-brand Delve as MyAnalytics and provide its own App in the AppLauncher https://goo.gl/rAiGKt
- Microsoft launching Azure Av2 VMs on November 17th with SSD storage and 30% cheaper than A-series
- Microsoft announce Azure Reserved Compute coming GA in H2. Using Volume Licensing to reserve compute at discounted rate vs. hourly
- 1st October Azure Existing SCE Customers can do a one-time renewal for lower minimum commit, with roll over of existing terms.
- 1st October Azure Monetary Commit for SCE moves to 10 MCUs ~1K Per Month$100 minimum commit still available for existing EA, or on MPSA
- AzureAD Identity Protection, AD Premium P2 was GA September 15th https://goo.gl/Rf6kcc The September Product Terms added Azure AD Premium Plan 2
- Microsoft officially launched Azure and Office365 datacenters in UK in September https://goo.gl/6KVeFM https://goo.gl/VgBTWz (Durham and London)
- New – Project Online, Professional and Premium were generally available from August 1st. Project Online Pro via EA/EAS have 15% off promo
- Operations Management Suite (OMS) Security generally available, and Azure Log Analytics subscribers https://goo.gl/FndmEC from September 1st.
This website is a way to give back to the licensing community and as an information resource for all customers that work with Microsoft software and licensing. I hope you find it of value.
- This article is not intended to replace the Product Terms
- This article is not intended to replace the Product Use Rights or Product List or Online Service Terms or other binding contractual documents
- Please be aware that any licensing, or product information could be subject to change.
- This document confers no rights and is provided for information purposes only.
- Please be aware, my own emphasis may have been added to quotations and extracts from 3rd party sources.
- This is not official guidance from Microsoft or its subsidiaries.
- The following article is based on open information shared with Licensing Solutions Providers (LSPs) and based on personal inference and understanding.
- This document is provided “as-is”. Information and views expressed in this document, including URL and other Internet Web site references, may change without notice. This document does not provide you with any legal rights to any intellectual property in any Microsoft product.
- Please be aware that nothing in this document constitutes specific technical advice. Some of the material in this document may have been prepared some time ago and therefore may have been superseded. Specialist advice from the vendor should be taken in relation to specific circumstances.
- The contents of this document are for general information purposes only. Whilst the author endeavors to ensure that the information on this document is correct, no warranty, express or implied, is given as to its accuracy and the primary author or it’s contributing Authors do not accept any liability for error or omission.
- The contributing authors and owner of this document shall not be liable for any damage (including, without limitation, damage for loss of business or loss of profits) arising in contract, tort or otherwise from the use of, or inability to use, this website or any material contained in it, or from any action or decision taken as a result of using this website or any such material.
- This Disclaimer is not intended to and does not create any contractual or other legal rights.